Office Location: 1910 Pacific Avenue, Suite 6000, Dallas, TX 75201
After practicing law in Texas for more than 20 years, attorney Stewart J. Guss and his team of lawyers and legal professionals have a deep appreciation and understanding of what makes the state of Texas so special. Dallas residents in particular have a strong sense of pride in their city, and it’s easy to see why. The U.S. Census Bureau reported that Dallas saw the largest increase of any metro area last year, with about 146,000 new residents moving to this area – it looks like the secret is out! With this incredible amount of growth come the growing pains of a vibrant city.
Almost everywhere you turn, you face the possibility of a serious accident in Dallas. Accidents can happen when you’re on the road, walking down the street, grocery shopping, at the pool, or anywhere else, and – when you least expect them. The effects of such incidents can last for months or years and can change your life forever. If you’ve suffered in a serious personal injury incident in Dallas, you need serious representation.
Our team of >Dallas personal injury attorneys and legal professionals fully understand the rights of accident victims under Texas law. We have the resources and knowledge to make sure all of our clients obtain maximum compensation. If you’ve suffered a personal injury accident in Dallas, call us right now for your free consultation at (800) 898-4877, or you can contact us to submit your case for review. We will be here to help you every step of the way, so you can focus on your recovery from your injuries.
Accidents and Personal Injuries
Personal injuries can result from many types of accidents. Different accidents require different legal expertise to obtain the best possible outcome, so your law team needs experience with similar situations to yours. Our injury attorneys and legal professionals commonly handle claims involving:
- Car accidents – Traffic in Dallas is never a pleasant experience, with many cars and trucks on the road at any hour of the day or night. You can read headlines about serious motor vehicle crashes in the city every day and these crashes often result in severe or even fatal injuries. Whether you are in a rear-end crash, a head-on collision, a single-vehicle accident, or any other type of crash, you can find yourself in the hospital with serious injuries. Many car accidents are caused by negligent parties, including dangerous drivers or car manufacturers that sell vehicles despite the dangers. Those parties should face responsibility for any damages you incurred.
- Truck accidents – Some of the most dangerous traffic accidents involve large commercial semi-trucks. Truck drivers and trucking companies can all make errors that cause huge trucks to crash into smaller vehicles, often causing devastating injuries and damage. Trucking companies work hard to keep costs low by avoiding liability, so you need the right hard-hitting team of attorneys and legal professionals on your side that can handle these often complicated truck accident claims.
- Pedestrian accidents – One minute, you’re walking on the sidewalk like any other day—and the next minute, you are heading to the hospital with severe traumatic injuries. Getting hit by a car as a pedestrian can result in catastrophic injuries, as well as mental trauma. We know how to hold distracted drivers, drivers who fail to yield, and any other negligent drivers liable for the pedestrian injuries they cause.
- Motorcycle accidents – Riding a motorcycle around Dallas can feel exhilarating, but it also puts you at risk of dangerous accidents. Motorcycles are difficult to see and many drivers may not pay enough attention to notice you on your motorcycle. A single driver can disrupt your entire life by leaving you injured or even permanently disabled. You need a law firm that knows how to seek the compensation you need after a motorcycle crash.
- Bicycle accidents – While Dallas has become more bike-friendly in recent years, motorists still regularly crash into bicycles throughout the metropolitan area. Not surprisingly, the bicyclist is more seriously injured after colliding with a car or truck. The injuries that cyclists sustain are often severe and can include broken bones, facial injuries, concussions, and even spinal cord injuries. In the most severe cases, injured bicyclists develop permanent disabilities that damage them every day of their lives. When the negligence of motorists causes these accidents, bicyclists can typically recover compensation, so victims need to speak with our team of legal professionals about their accidents as soon as possible.
- Slips, trips, and falls – Slip and fall accidents are among the most common causes of accidents in the Dallas area. While many people think of them as minor incidents, in reality, slips and falls can leave victims with serious injuries that may hurt them for years, including broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and nerve damage. In cases where a slip and fall accident occurred on someone else’s property, victims may recover compensation for all of their accident-related losses. Whether victims are legally entitled to recover depends on the specific facts surrounding their cases, so always review your case with our team of attorneys and legal professionals after you fall and hurt yourself.
- Premises liability – In addition to slips and falls, many accidents can happen on another party’s property or at a business. Swimming pool accidents, hotel accidents, theme park accidents, and sports stadium accidents can all cause injuries. Texas law expects business and property owners to keep their premises safe for visitors and, if they don’t do so, we can take legal action on your behalf to hold them accountable.
- Construction worker accidents – It should surprise nobody that construction is a dangerous industry. Crews work near traffic, from heights, and with power tools and heavy machinery on a daily basis. Unfortunately, electrical accidents, falls, getting hit by objects, and other accidents are all too common on construction sites. If you suffer injuries on the worksite, Texas law may entitle you to significant compensation. Do’t wait to discuss your rights with a member of our team.
- Dangerous pharmaceuticals – Medications are supposed to help us—not hurt us further. Unfortunately, many large drug companies are more concerned with rolling out new products than taking the time to thoroughly and properly ensure that their pharmaceuticals are safe. Many drugs, therefore, can cause dangerous side effects and injuries to patients. If your medication or medical device caused you serious injuries, you need a law firm that is not afraid to take on large pharmaceutical companies on your behalf.
- Nursing home abuse – Nursing home abuse is an under-reported issue that hurts thousands of nursing home residents each year. It can include physical, emotional, or even financial abuse and loved ones of nursing home residents should make themselves aware of the signs of abuse and take immediate action if they suspect abuse or neglect.
In addition to handling accident cases, our firm has helped clients with traumatic injuries. We take every injury seriously and understand that physical and mental injuries can require extensive medical treatments and can cause substantial amounts of pain and suffering. The following are only some examples of injuries we’ve helped our clients with:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries
- Electrical injuries
- Fatal injuries
Each accident and injury is unique and we handle every claim as such. No matter what happened in your situation, never hesitate to give us a call and talk about the ways we may help.
Why Choose Our Personal Injury Law Firm?
You may choose many different personal injury law firms who handle cases in or around Dallas. However, not all law firms know how to successfully handle your type of personal injury case.
Some injury firms simply try to settle each case as quickly as possible, which can result in a much smaller settlement than you truly deserve. Other firms may not have the resources or experience to fully investigate what happened in your accident and gather the evidence needed to prove the full extent of your damages. You don’t want to risk facing responsibility for medical costs and other losses because you didn’t hire a law firm that knew how to stand up for your rights.
Stewart J. Guss and his team of attorneys and legal professionals are committed to providing the highest quality of legal representation to every client. While we aggressively face off against insurance companies and negligent parties, we always treat our clients like family. You will receive the respect and attention your case needs for the best possible resolution. We have decades of experience behind us, which allows us to serve as dedicated and effective advocates for your rights.
Many accident victims put off calling a law firm because they are concerned about the cost of legal services. After all, if you’re looking at a stack of medical bills and other unpaid expenses while you’re not able to work, the last thing you need is another financial burden. The good news is that ANYONE can afford to hire the team of lawyers and legal professionals at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers.
Our firm handles personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t owe us anything until your case is settled. Consultations are always free, so please call our office to discuss how we can help and why you can afford to get representation from our firm.
Our firm is widely recognized in Dallas, throughout Texas, and even across the United States. Please contact us today to learn why our law firm is unique, and to discuss your legal rights and options.
Playing Hardball With Insurance Companies
If you were hurt in an accident, you are or soon will probably deal with an insurance company. Insurance company representatives have a way of making you feel like they are on your side and want to do everything they can to settle your case.
Don’t fall for it. Even if the insurance company concedes fault and liability on the part of the policyholder, the insurance will do EVERYTHING to minimize your payout. These are for-profit companies, and they stay profitable by employing strategies to pay out less than they bring in, including:
- Making lowball offers before a victim has a chance to retain an attorney
- Requesting that victims give recorded statements regarding their version of events, hoping the victim will say something that hurts their cases
- Taking unreasonable amounts of time to “process” claims, hoping that victims will give up or accept lower offers just to get the process over with
These tactics can prove difficult to deal with—especially when you are severely injured, in pain, and uncertain about when or even if you can return to work. Fortunately, you have help available.
The aggressive team of lawyers and legal professionals Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, know all of the insurance company’s tricks, and we are not about to play their games. We will fight for your right to recover compensation and gather evidence that clearly demonstrates your losses—both economic and non-economic.
We have helped many personal injury victims seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost quality of life
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
We can determine an appropriate settlement amount in your case and do everything we can to make sure that you recover full compensation for your losses. If the insurance company won’t pay the settlement you’re entitled to, we won’t hesitate to take your case to court. We’re skilled negotiators and aggressive litigators, and as our client, you can rest assured that we will do everything to obtain the best possible resolution for your case.
Dallas Personal Injury FAQ
Accidents happen throughout Dallas every day, but preventable accidents also often give rise to a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
When you sustain injuries because of the actions of another individual or entity, you may be eligible for compensation for your losses. A personal injury lawyer can answer any questions you may have about your case and what compensation you may recover.
What is Personal Injury?
Suffering an injury can happen to anyone. The CDC estimates that over 95 million visits to the ER each year in the U.S. are for treatment of an unintentional injury.
This is a staggering number of people that suffer injuries serious enough to warrant emergency medical attention. Many of these accidental injuries can be due to various reasons and causes.
One common cause of injuries is negligence. When the negligence is of another party other than the victim, then there are grounds for a personal injury case and recovery of damages.
Personal injuries occur any time an individual suffers harm because of the actions of another party. When a personal injury takes place, the victim may be eligible to file a claim for damages or a lawsuit if they can prove the defendant’s negligence.
Who Can Bear Liability to You in a Personal Injury Case?
The fault in a personal injury accident is challenging to determine in many situations. Each personal injury case is distinctive for its own sets of facts and events leading to harm to the victim. No one rule fits all circumstances or makes it clear when a party is at fault for harming another person.
Depending on the case, the duty of care and relationships between the parties will affect who is liable to a victim that sustains injuries and damages. It is possible that only one party is at fault or that multiple parties are at fault for harming a victim. In cases with multiple at-fault parties, the parties may each need to pay a percentage of damages to you.
An attorney that represents you in a personal injury case will take a hard look at the evidence of the accident to determine who could potentially be liable to you. In some situations, a plaintiff may not realize that additional parties caused their injuries. Your lawyer will not only discover the liability of any party in your case but can also pursue damages against them.
Liability in a personal injury accident might include:
- A motor vehicle driver or operator of a vessel or recreational vehicle
- The owner of a vehicle or vessel
- An employer of the party that causes you harm
- An owner of a home, building, or property where an injury occurs
- A doctor or other healthcare professional that engages in malpractice
- A dog owner
- A business, government entity, or non-profit organization
- A manufacturer of a product that is defective or hazardous
What Compensation Can You Seek After a Personal Injury?
The damages for every personal injury case are different. Not every accident will give rise to the same damages.
To find out what damages you qualify for after a personal injury accident, a lawyer will work with you to go over each type of damages and calculate your losses. While a calculation of damages by your attorney does not guarantee the compensation you will receive in your case, it helps you and your lawyer negotiate a settlement with an insurance company. You’ll know if a settlement will pay your bills and if you must go to trial to prove your case.
Personal injury accident damages can include:
- Medical costs – These are any expenses that relate to the care you seek through an emergency room, doctor, or healthcare provider for the treatment and recovery of your injuries. Even in cases where a victim doesn’t sustain severe and permanent injuries, these costs must include estimations and consideration for needed future medical expenses.
- Loss of income – It is common for a victim of an accident to take time to recover from their injuries after an accident. In many situations, this will affect the victim’s ability to work. Through a personal injury claim or lawsuit, a victim can seek reimbursement of their lost income and any impacts that may occur to their future earnings or potential earnings.
- Pain and suffering – While this is not an easily measurable loss, the law allows a victim to seek compensation for the pain they experience.
- Property damages – While the highest costs of personal injury cases are injury-related losses and expenses, it is also possible to recover the cost of property that sustains damage or is a total loss due to an accident. A victim can also recover costs such as a car rental and other property expenses.
- Punitive damages – These damages are not common in most personal injury cases. However, when maliciousness, intent, or egregious behavior of the defendant causes a victim’s injuries, a court can award these damages as punishment. Texas caps the maximum amount of punitive damages a court may enter against a defendant.
- Wrongful death – When a loved one loses their life in a personal injury accident, the surviving family may file a wrongful death action for compensation for losses related to the victim’s death. These damages can include costs for the burial and funeral of the loved one and the loss of contributions they would have made to the family.
Will Your Case Settle With the Insurer, or Go to Court?
Nobody can predict the result of your case. However, most personal injury cases will be successfully settled.
In most cases, especially in those in which a victim has representation by a personal injury lawyer, an insurer has many reasons for wanting to settle a case outside of court and will work with your lawyer to reach an agreement.
While most cases settle, a small portion of cases must go to trial to resolve. When a case must go to trial, the court will decide whether the defendant is liable to you and, if so, what damages you recover. This most commonly occurs in cases where an insurer does not accept liability, disputes their percentage of liability, or continues to make offers of settlement that do not account for the extent of a victim’s damages.
It is also necessary to file a lawsuit when an insurance claim is not possible and the parties at fault are liable personally to the plaintiff for their losses. Rest assured that if your case must go to court, your attorney will fight vigorously for your rights and continue to protect your interests in their effort to get you the compensation you deserve in your case.
How Can a Lawyer Help You After a Personal Injury Accident?
A personal injury lawyer is a necessary asset. Insurance companies strategize to avoid massive payouts to personal injury victims and how to create conflict and uncertainty in a claim. Without the assistance of an attorney in a personal injury accident, you are at the mercy of an insurer.
The insurer will try to pressure you into accepting a settlement offer if they feel they are liable. The offers from the insurance company are never what you are truly eligible for under the law. They will offer you just a small portion of your damages to get you to settle quickly and close out a claim.
It is common for insurers to overlook significant portions of damages in a claim such as pain and suffering or future impacts and expenses in the hopes that a victim is none the wiser and will take the money quickly.
A personal injury lawyer knows the insurance company and its representatives’ tricks that may pressure an unrepresented victim to settle for less than they deserve. Your attorney will prepare your claim for damages by collecting evidence and testimony and communicating your demands to an insurer. They will conduct a more productive negotiation than you can, and increase the likelihood that you will get the compensation you need and deserve in your case.
Beyond the calculation of damages and negotiations of settlement offers, your attorney will also manage all communications and issues that may arise in your case. Once you hire a lawyer, your personal injury case is in their hands and you can be free of the pressure and constant messages and calls from insurance companies and other interested parties. You can focus on your recovery, and allow your lawyer to manage your case and communicate all important developments to you.
What is the Dallas Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Cases?
In Texas, the victim of a personal injury accident must file a lawsuit in civil court within two years of the accident. If a plaintiff fails to file within the statute of limitations, the court will bar them from recovering their losses. The court will usually dismiss any case brought after this deadline.
What Should You Do if You Suffer an Injury in Dallas Due to Someone’s Negligence?
No one expects to suffer a personal injury, and when it happens, you must take action to protect your interests as best you can while at the scene. Follow these few simple steps if you are a victim of a personal injury accident.
The first step you must take is to call for help. When you suffer injuries that affect your mobility or can be life-threatening, you must call 911 immediately. Request EMS and police for assistance.
Personal injury victims may hesitate to call the police, but in most cases, it is helpful and necessary. The police will come to the scene and ensure you get the help you need and that no others are at risk of harm.
Get medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible and you follow up with all of your providers’ recommendations for care and treatment. This will not only help your case but also increase the chance that you will make a full recovery.
Collect Any Evidence You Can
If you are alert and able to, you can take a few quick moments while you wait for help to arrive to collect any evidence you can about the accident and your surroundings. If you can, take photographs of the accident scene, including the surrounding environment and anything that could contribute to your injuries.
Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers Immediately
There is no time to waste after a personal injury accident. Once you receive medical treatment, call a Dallas personal injury attorney at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, as soon as possible. We can discuss your case and legal options to recover compensation for your injuries.
Contact Our Dallas, Texas, Personal Injury Law Firm as Soon as Possible
he team of attorneys and legal professionals at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, are nationally recognized for protecting the rights of injured victims for more than 20 years. We are confident in our ability to help the injured accident victims in Dallas. We bring experience, drive, compassion, and resources to the table of every case.
If you were injured in the Dallas area, call our office right now for your free consultation! Because we take all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, you will not owe us a DIME unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us today at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by CLICKING HERE. There’s too much on the line to wait any longer.
Stewart J. Guss Personal Injury Lawyers
10 Pacific Avenue, Suite 6000
Dallas, TX 75201
Don’t Take Chances – Let Us Help You!
See what past clients have to say:
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“As a relatively new resident of Houston, I did not know of an attorney to contact for a personal injury suit. I randomly went through the yellow pages contacting two attorneys that had rejected my case prior to me contacting Stewart Guss. Stewart took my case on and settled for far more than I had anticipated. The silver lining of this is that I will now have enough money to go back to school for retraining, so I will be able to reenter the workforce in a new capacity. The paralegal, Angela, was kind and supportive throughout the process. If I did not understand the legal jargon, I did not hesitate to ask, and was never once made to feel that I was incompetent. Thank you Stewart and Angela for giving me a new lease on life.”
See more client testimonials here
Since starting his firm in 1999, Stewart J. Guss has had the honor of representing clients from all over the world, helping them recover from even the most catastrophic injuries.
Today, thanks to a strong belief in those values of compassion, respect, and approachability, the firm has grown to employ over 120 legal professionals in numerous offices across 4 states, with nationwide reach.